Wednesday, November 28, 2012

BEHIND THE LENS WITH DINAH PHOTOGRAPHER CONNIE KURTEW: HOW SHE CAME OUT AFTER HER FIRST CLUB SKIRTS DINAH SHORE WEEKEND!

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, for The Dinah 2013 we're putting together a brand new team of top notch photographers to capture frame by frame every single moment of your Dinah Shore Weekend experience.

It's not just about posing for the camera, but rather about creating together unforgettable images that will remind you of the incredible feeling, the love, the joy and the fun for the rest of your life!

Connie Kurtew has been attending Club Skirts Dinah Shore Weekend in Palm Springs for quite some time. This past Dinah she was the official photographer for reporter Morgan M. Hurley of The San Diego Gay and Lesbian News.

Connie's utmost professionalism, dedication to her craft, uber friendliness not to mention the impressive quality of her work, made her stand out and catch our attention.

We immediately knew she was the perfect fit for The Dinah because she's the kind of photographer that clearly would bend over backwards if it means making YOU happy!

We hope you'll take the time to scope out her website Kurtew Photography and look at what she's doing with her amazing photography.

In the meantime, we'd like to share a bit about Connie with you.
So without further ado meet one of your Dinah 2013 photographers CONNIE KURTEW:


Connie Kurtew with Rose Garcia of "The Real L Word"

"I think 2013 will be my 7th Dinah but I am excited as I was the first time. I didn't go for a few years in between, not sure why but that will not happen again.

I remember the first time like it was yesterday. I never in my life saw so many woman together in one place. and not just that. They were all lesbians! I just moved a few years ago from Germany to San Diego,CA and lived in Hillcrest specifically,  the gay neighborhood of San Diego. And that was amazing and very different. But going to Palm Springs, seeing so so many women like myself was breathtaking. I realized it was ok to be gay, I didn't had to hide or to pretend. I just could be who I was.



The White Party was especially memorable. Different from other parties, most women were  dress mostly in white, everybody was dancing  and is in such great mood. It's just fun to just walk around, watch people, talk to strangers, dance with strangers and get a kiss here or there. Not bad when you are single.

I went with couples who had just put their relationships on hold for 4 days - people jumped into new relationships, some came to an end. People just came up for the pool parties, intended to drive back the same night and stayed for 3 days. It's a party  but also a community you don't want to leave EVER. And yes, we all have to but you get addicted and have to come back every year.

There is something missing in your life if you don't. Well, I missed it!



Photos of Connie at her first Club Skirts Dinah Shore Weekend!


 If you never been and plan on going, do it. Plan well. There is stuff going on at every time of the day. And for very age group. Just come and see for yourself. And you can hold your girlfriends hand all the time. And no one will look at you in a weird way. And if you don't have one, well that might be your weekend!

The most memorable moment was when I looked at my arm filled with wristbands of all colors from every party.  If there would have been one more party I would have to use my other arm LOL.

I think that year I did them all, all party's. I did not sleep much and I didn't want to . I did not wanted to miss anything!

I took that feeling with me to my every day life, finally came out to my parents and all my friends in Germany, standing up for it and being who I am every day everywhere. And that feels great.

A feeling I cannot explain or describe to anybody who was not  in the same situation. I did get rejections, remarks, nasty looks, but my entire life is so much easier because I am standing up for myself and don't hide anymore.

This past Dinah I had the great opportunity to work for The San Diego Gay and Lesbian news and went as their Photographer to The Dinah. I almost did it again, went to almost every party or event and took photos.




There is a feeling, I can't explain I have when I see young lesbians being out and free. And love who they are. And I am so happy that they can. Hopefully everywhere soon.

So I hope to see all of you - and those of you who've never been too - next year at The Dinah 2013.

I will be your Photographer so I will be everywhere!
 Come and say Hi and I can take a picture with you and your friends/girlfriends.

I look forward to be part of this fun team and can't hardly wait!!!"





 Get your tickets today at: www.TheDinah.com


We invite you to share your own Dinah story with us!
Email us at: Info@TheDinah.com




No comments:

Post a Comment